Hello again,
This week has been extremely informational for me. I have realized that not only are there different versions of sign language, but there are different ways to say certain words as well. That made me realize how determined you have to be to start learning the language and just how smart people who already are fluent in it are! Most fluent speakers, I have come to realize, are able to notice certain things about a word even if it is signed differently, and therefore can recognize most words easily. An example of this would be the word "MOM." It is signed by opening your hand as if about to give a high five and placing the thumb on your chin. BUT it can also be signed by signing the letter A, placing it on your chin, and then opening the hand into a high five position. Some people even wiggle their fingers or double tap their hand against their chin to sign "MOM." Some may find this confusing, but I find it really interesting because essentially it is up to the person to decide how they want to sign a word. Other than that, I have been focusing on little words and saying mostly just to start out with. I already have the alphabet memorized and I am still practicing that as well. Next week I plan on enhancing my vocabulary even more. Also I still have not found a mentor, but I plan on finding one sometime next week. Until next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment