As you know for the last six or seven weeks I have been researching, studying, and trying to learn sign language. I have been leaning numerous words and shorts phrases, but I find it increasingly difficult to memorize or remember a majority of them days after the initial learning. I try to fit in some sign language everyday, but between school, homework, and working during the week, it is really hard to balance and try to give sign language my full attention when so much other stuff has to be done at this time. I really wished I could have focused on this project second semester when things calm down a little, but I am still motivated to learn as much as I can. My aunt told me she had trouble learning at first as well, but she admitted, of course, that she was not under the same conditions as I. I know learning an entirely new language can be difficult so I am trying to not be so hard on myself if I do not remember things as efficiently as I should.
Regardless, I am having a lot of fun with this project still and during 20% time I have the chance to look up really cool things about sign language that I never knew before.
Hey Michelle! I really liked reading all your blog posts. I like how you are staying diligent even though you have not had as much time to work on this as you would like. Additionally, this project seems like it is very difficult to learn. The fact that many signs can mean one word can make it extremely confusing. Despite this, I know you can become fluent as long as you keep at it. I look forward to seeing how much you can say in sign language in December!
ReplyDeleteThis is so cool. My little sister's boyfriend's parents are deaf, and so I definitely see a lot of sign language every day as my sister and mom practice with each other. I work at Chick-fil-A, and a few weeks ago I had a deaf lady come in and I got to ask her what her name was with my extremely limited knowledge of sign language. I'm impressed that you're still sticking with it because learning a new language can be ridiculously hard in the beginning. Stick with it, Michelle.
ReplyDeleteSign Language is not only its own language, but its own little culture of people. I have learned and heard bits and pieces from Luis learning in 7th period, and it is so interesting to me. I love that your experience at Arby's gave you a jump start, opened your eyes to reality of using sign language, and gave you a chance to communicate with them as best you could. On your journey learning sign language, that communication will only improve. There is a lot to learn since it is so much more than just the signs and the words, but you can do it if you really commit to learning and keep on practicing!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog and i think sign language sounds really interestion and it is unique somehow, because not many people are interested in learning such a langauge,but i think what you are doing is cool. As for the struggle that you are going through with learning and keeping up what you have learned , i can relate to it because i am facing the same exact problem , so i understand where you are coming from, but just try doing your best and keep up the hard work and even if you won't reach your goals, at least you know that you have tried and put an effort to it!
ReplyDeleteI love that you're doing sign language. When my little sister was younger, speech was very difficult for her, and while she was participating in speech therapy, most communication for her first few years was through sign language, so I totally understand your struggle. However, I really respect the fact that you're dedicated your 20% time to this. Sign language can open up so many doors for you in the future, whether it be helping those who are hearing disabled or teaching it to others. I'm really excited to see your progress!
ReplyDeletebest of luck :)
I like the whole idea of sign language but the sad thing is I cant ever imagine myself learning it. The amount of signs are just way to complicated. Its like learning the alphabet all over again. I would like to see you create a easier way to understand and learn sign language. Also this technique could help teach for students with disability issues and such.
ReplyDeleteIt is awesome that you're learning sign language. I tried to learn last year, and I only managed to learn the letters of the alphabet (which I've already forgotten). In my church, we have sign language interpreter for a group of deaf people, and I can't imagine how anyone can keep up with the fast hand movements. This project looks really challenging, but it looks like you're handling it really well. Good luck with the rest of your project!
ReplyDeleteThis project isn't just about yourself; it's about others, and in picking this project, you have demonstrated that you care about trying to involve everyone, in this case the deaf. The experience you had at Arby's was certainly a bit touching to read, as I have a little friend who is half deaf as well as half blind. I myself do not know ASL, but it is very interesting to see that if I do something like picking up a pretend spoon and putting it near my lips, he can understand what I am trying to express. Maybe you and Luis should get together and practice a nice conversation. This will help you become more adept at ASL. Good luck with the rest of your project! I can't wait to see where your endeavors will take you.
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting project. Actually it was one of my options too but I went with football. I think all you need is just a little more practice. Sign Language is literally like a second language so of course you are just going to learn the basic words first. So don't feel bad if you couldn't understand your customers. I had a hard time understanding English fluently as well so I only stuck with picking up the basic words first and then I would try to put them all together to make (or try too) make a sentence. Maybe watching sign language shows would help you to get more fluent or just get you better at picking up new words. I'm glad you have a mentor. Wish you the best of luck!
ReplyDeleteThis was actually a project idea that I was thinking about doing also. However, as you have found out, it can be very time consuming and stressful when you are trying to balance school work with learning another language. Sign language is one of those life skills that I think everyone should learn. Much like swimming or learning how to ride a bike, sign language should be advertised to have a higher value to learn because it allows us to communicate with a large portion of society which we would not be able to without sign language. I wish you the best of luck in completing the remainder of your project.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you Michelle. There has been so much work this semester with school and college applications. Whoever said senior year was really chill completely lied. I believe that your project is very exciting and will definitely be useful in your future. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteI use to take sign language classes when I was younger, and it can be difficult. The upside of sign language is that it isn't an entirely new language because it is still technically English, but the downside of course is that you do have to relearn every word in the English language as a sign. You could go on Amazon and find some great sign language books that have a ton of signs. I use to have one of those books when I was learning. Also, You could try to sign songs. It sounds super hard, but a lot of songs are repetitive and the repetition is great when learning how to sign. Just don't give up! It's hard now, but I promise it gets easier with practice.
ReplyDelete